Salary depends upon prior relevant experience and in accordance with JustCause’s standard salary scale.
Excellent benefits including, but not limited to
* Paid holidays and generous leave time
* Choice of high deductible or copay health insurance plan; JustCause pays 100% of the employee’s premium
* JustCause contribution of 3% of salary to 403(b) retirement plan
* Parking reimbursement
* Short- and long-term disability insurance and New York Paid Family Leave
Telecommuting is allowed.
Job Classification: Full-time, Exempt Location: Remote or hybrid Reports to: Deputy Executive Director Post date: January 5, 2024 Start date: As soon as position is filled Salary range: $67,500 to $92,700 (based on JustCause’s payscale and relevant experience)
JustCause (formerly Volunteer Legal Services Project of Monroe County) provides free legal assistance to people who cannot afford an attorney when facing serious civil legal problems. Established in 1981, JustCause’s staff of 29 employees coordinates the work of more than 1,500 volunteers who donate their time and talent to ensure that everyone in Monroe County has access to the justice system. JustCause staff and volunteers help over 10,000 people annually with a wide range of legal matters, including housing, immigration, child support or custody, domestic violence, divorce, unemployment, wills and powers of attorney, and other serious civil legal problems.
JustCause’s Immigrants’ Rights Program has rapidly expanded over the past two years to meet the community’s needs. The Immigration Staff Attorney will join JustCause’s existing immigration team, which includes two experienced Staff Attorneys, a dedicated Pro Bono Coordinator, and three paralegals with fluency in Spanish, Arabic, Farsi, and Pashto. The Immigration Staff Attorney will train and mentor pro bono attorneys in family-based immigration, humanitarian immigration, and naturalization matters. JustCause does not provide removal defense. This position can be hybrid (based in our downtown Rochester office) or fully remote.
* Support and mentor pro bono attorneys by providing substantive legal training and assistance to attorneys who may not have significant prior immigration law experience * Review and assess incoming cases for possible placement with an attorney or limited-scope assistance * Provide “backup” support to pro bono attorneys with all legal issues concerning their cases, including assistance with legal research or reviewing documents when needed * Supervise work of paralegals, interns, and law student team members
* Maintain up-to-date client/matter data in an electronic case management system by ensuring that all correspondence, memoranda, and other documents are uploaded/filed * Track time spent on case-related tasks and comply with JustCause's daily/weekly timekeeping procedures
* Effectively communicate about legal matters with clients, pro bono attorneys, and the courts * Develop training materials and present programs on immigration law topics relevant to the program * Participate in community outreach and community-related and social justice committees, working groups, and other events as needed Assist with program grant reporting and compliance
* Law Degree and license to practice law in good standing * No less than 3 years of practical experience in Immigration Law, with sufficient subject matter expertise to train and mentor other attorneys in this area * A strong commitment to justice, equity, and community wellness. Dedication to serving low-income people * Ability to work independently and exercise sound and compassionate judgment while serving a very diverse clientele that may be in crisis or have endured various forms of trauma * Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to maintain effective relationships with the courts, the private bar, bar associations, and community organizations * Ability to work as part of a team and cooperatively with fellow staff, supervisors, interns, and pro bono volunteers * Excellent written and oral communication skills and telephonic and in-person interviewing skills * Ability to effectively “issue-spot” legal matters when interviewing clients * Database and records/case management skills and ability to maintain confidentiality of records and information * Highly organized, detail-oriented, and committed to working in a client-focused and collegial environment * Commitment to continuous process improvement and comfort with change * A pleasant and professional demeanor and a balanced sense of humor
* At least one year of supervisory experience * Written and spoken fluency in language(s) other than English
JustCause (formerly Volunteer Legal Services Project of Monroe County) provides free legal assistance to
people who cannot afford an attorney when facing serious civil legal problems. Established in 1981,
JustCause’s staff of 26 employees coordinates the work of more than 1,500 volunteers who donate their
time and talent to ensure that everyone in Monroe County has access to the justice system. JustCause
staff and volunteers help over 10,000 people annually with a wide range of legal matters, including
housing, immigration, child support or custody, domestic violence divorce, unemployment, wills and
powers of attorney, and other serious civil legal problems.